Saturday, November 22, 2008

Thankful?

As we all know, Thanksgiving is practically on our doorstep. So I was trying to think of the things I was thankful for (family, friends, boys, school in the spring, my job)... and then I realized all my thankful things turned into dreadful things. Let me demonstrate. I checked my schedule today and it turns out we're closed on Thanksgiving, BUT we have the ominous Black Friday to concern ourselves with. How could I be thankful at such a horrid time? I'll fill myself to the brim with deliciousness and then have to work the busiest day of the year at a discount store. Where is the humanity in that?
I could honestly sit here and complain about the million and one things I'm unthankful for, but that's not really the point of the season is it? I just find it amusing that the "Holiday Season" brings a lot more stress and grief then it does happiness and joy. If you think about it, you know I'm right. Everyone freaks about their finances, out decorating the neighbors, having melt downs with family gatherings, and so on. Not to mention the illnesses, cleaning up after everything, and realizing how obnoxious the toys you bought the kids are. To me it seems like we willingly torture ourselves for about 3 months in a row just for kicks (and for the sake of tradition).
What am I thankful for? My brain.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Well, yes...that IS all true...BUT, you can be Thankful to come and see me!!! :) This is going to be the best holiday season ever, why? Oh, just because I will have my new little bundle of joy! :) AND I can't wait for you and mom to come and hang with me.

Natalie Reynolds said...

I wanted to let you know that I am thankful for my siblings. The greated gift that our parents gave us. I love how different we all are. We are all really cool people and very independent of eachother, while at the same time we can lean on eachother if we need to. I love you so much Valerie, and am looking forward to seeing you soon.